Re: [LUG] Ripping Clasical CDs: WAS Re: Music CD Database

On Mon, 11 May 2009 11:05:01 +0100
Philip Whateley wrote:

> I tried to rip classical music to MP3 (sorry, my portable player
> doesn't support Ogg).
>
> The problem I found was that classical music doesn't use tracks in the
> same way as pop/rock etc.
>
> So I got a separate MP3 file (and metadata entry) for each tagged
> piece of a movement, which gave a break between sections that should
> be played continuously. For example, the 5th movement of Mahler
> Symphony 2 has 7 sections on the Rattle EMI CD I have, which gives 7
> separate MP3 files and 7 database entries, although the sections (and
> in some cases sequential movements) should be played without a break.
>
> Whilst there are 5 movements over 2 CDs, I got 11 separate tracks,
> with a pause between each one. I tried to look for something that
> would stitch the files back together, but without success.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with ripping classical music, and is
> there a solution?
>
> Phil

"Ripping to MP3" is actually (normally) a 2 stage process, but many
tools hide this.  What ought to happen is ripping CD -> WAV and then
encoding WAV -> MP3.  If you were to do this manually (rather than
using a GUI 'CD Ripper' application) you would have complete control
over the process.  You can stitch the required WAV files together and
then encode the larger file(s) to MP3.  Obviously this can be automated
somewhat.

Grant.