Re: [LUG] Music CD Database

On Monday 11 May 2009 08:18, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
> > Neil Winchurst wrote:
> >> In my Windows days I would have used Borland Paradox and had the
> >> database set up and in use in half a day, easily. Unfortunately there is
> >> no equivalent program yet in Linux.
> >
> > I'm with Grant that OOBase would be fine for same.
> >
> > But I was wondering - you don't seem to be storing anything that isn't
> > in say Rhythmbox - so if you just ripped the CDs as suggested already....
> >
> >  Simon, whose CD collection is small, and yet Rhythmbox says there is a
> > 1/3 of it I've never listened to since ripping it 30 months ago.
>
> Yes, I saw that suggestion. However, I don't want the *music* stored on
> the computer. I play the CD's when I want to listen to anything. Well,
> mostly, just a few have been ripped.
>
> I am looking to store the details on the computer so that I can see
> exactly what I have got, and so that I can find the relevant CD easily.
> So Rhythmbox will not do it for me.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil
What media players do you have on your PC?
Do they provide the CD details in a usable way -ie can you save or cut and
paste the CD title and track data in any way from them?
If so it shouldn't be too hard to write a simple app to take that data and
stuff it into a two table database (CD table)(tracks table)
That way you can just make that player app the default for playing CDs and
1)shove in an uncatalogued  CD, 'rip' the data into your app, click eject.
2) if not out of mind yet go to 1