Re: [LUG] Music CD Database

Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> Well, thanks for the info. It seems that I will have to write my own
>> database for the job. Now I must decide which program to use.
>
> What precisely do you want to keep track of about the CDs?

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am talking about classical music
CD's. In effect I am looking to set up a database of all the relevant
details from each CD. Here is an example -

DISCID=69103107
DTITLE=Sir Malcolm Arnold / Complete Symphonies - Disc 2 - Nos 3 and 4
DYEAR=2001
DGENRE=Symphony
TTITLE0=Symphony No 3 Op 63 - I Allegro - vivace
TTITLE1=Symphony No 3 Op 63 - II Lento
TTITLE2=Symphony No 3 Op 63 - III Allegro con brio - Presto
TTITLE3=Symphony No 4 Op 71 - I Allegro - poco piu mosso - Tempo I
TTITLE4=Symphony No 4 Op 71 - II Vivace ma non troppo
TTITLE5=Symphony No 4 Op 71 - III Andantino
TTITLE6=Symphony No 4 Op 71 - IV Con fuoco - alla marcia - Maestoso
-Allegro molto

So, one table to hold the first four items and a linked table to hold
the title details for each CD.

I could have a go at setting up one for myself, but I wondered if one
was already available. (See next para.)

In my Windows days I would have used Borland Paradox and had the
database set up and in use in half a day, easily. Unfortunately there is
no equivalent program yet in Linux. That, IMHO, is the big, big hole in
what Linux can offer. For just about everything else there is now a
program available in Linux to do the job, but a database equivalent to
Paradox or even Windows Access? No way.

Neil