Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - Fan control

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Paul Hirst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have packaged up the kernel module for doing fan control under Ubuntu
> Jaunty on my Acer Aspire one. The package is hosted on LaunchPad. Would
> anyone be willing to test it for me?
>
> It uses DKMS so it should rebuild automatically when new kernels get
> installed
> It includes an init script to load the module on boot, which avoids
> having to add the module to /etc/modules.
>
> In theory you can do a one click install from here
> https://launchpad.net/~paul-hirst/+archive/ppa/+files/acerhdf-dkms_0.4.0-2_all.deb
> Or install the PPA into apt by going
> https://launchpad.net/~paul-hirst/+archive/ppa and following the
> instructions.
>
> If it seems to worth for others I can update the page
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne to point at this package.
>
> Note: I didn't write the module. That came from http://piie.net/. I just
> packaged it. Usual 'no warranty' disclaimers apply :-)

The fan on my AAO is quiet. It seems to self modulate between low and high
as required without me doing anything to it, or loading any special
modules.

The one on my wifys is noisy. It too self modulates between noisy and
hurrican as required.

I loaded up something called acerfand on hers - it's a shell script. It
turns the fan off and only turns it on when the thing is really cooking...
So far so good...

So what's this module doing then?

Gordon