Re: [LUG] Giving away copies of Ubuntu & OpenDisc on Freecycle

On Wed, 06 May 2009 10:27:59 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > On Wed, 06 May 2009 09:41:41 +0100
> > Rob Beard wrote:
> >

> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm a member of the Torbay & South Devon Freecycle list and I
> >> noticed recently there has been a request from someone for a
> >> Windows XP Disc & license key.  Now I have the feeling that they
> >> have not much chance of getting XP unless someone is willing to
> >> give away a retail boxed copy (these are the only ones where the
> >> licence is transferable to another machine).
> >>
> >> Now I was thinking, would it be okay to give away some Ubuntu &
> >> OpenDisc CDs on Freecycle?
> >>
> >> What I'd like to do is promote the LUG and maybe offer a free
> >> install of Ubuntu to anyone who is interested but I have a feeling
> >> that'll be against the terms and conditions.  Just wondered if
> >> anyone had any thoughts on this as from what I understand there
> >> are over 4000 people on the Freecycle list for Torbay and South
> >> Devon alone and I'm sure a few of those might be interested.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>

> > Against the T&Cs of what?  Ubuntu, OpenDisc or FreeCycle?  Certainly
> > their FAQ (http://www.freecycle.org/faq/faq/faq_guidelines) doesn't
> > seem to prohibit this.
> >
> > Grant.
> >
> I thought it might be against the T&C's of Freecycle.
>
> I'm sure I heard a while back of something like this, someone got
> kicked off Freecycle for advertising Ubuntu or something like that.

If the Freecycle admins are happy for people to give away XP CDs
(genuine and licensed or not) then I can't see how they could defend
themselves for preventing someone from giving away other OSes.

Grant.