Re: [LUG] Giving away copies of Ubuntu & OpenDisc on Freecycle

2009/5/6 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm a member of the Torbay & South Devon Freecycle list and I noticed
> recently there has been a request from someone for a Windows XP Disc &
> license key.  Now I have the feeling that they have not much chance of
> getting XP unless someone is willing to give away a retail boxed copy
> (these are the only ones where the licence is transferable to another
> machine).

Er, I'd say they have a very high probability of getting a copy of XP.
A non-official one, and probably a key that's been used a few times.
Your average joe seems to have no problem with making duplicate copies
of XP CDs.

> Now I was thinking, would it be okay to give away some Ubuntu & OpenDisc
> CDs on Freecycle?

Of course, but I doubt you'll get many takers. You'd probably get
better traction giving away a computer with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Cheers,
Al.