Re: [LUG] Myth TV - was Oil Immersion Cooling (OIC)

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Monday 04 May 2009 12:48, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> My next project is going to be rebuilding a HP Pavillion Slimline which
>> is going to be a bit of a challenge.  It's got a 160W PSU and it's
>> fairly limited to what hardware I can put in there but I figure with an
>> Athlon X2 dual core CPU and low end graphics card I should be able to
>> make a reasonable MythTV box.
>>
> That sound more than powerful enuf!
> I get the impression the TV card, disk setup and DMA are more important in
> terms of 'power'...
> Tom te tom te tom

I gather that is the case.  I'm planning on using a couple of USB DVB-T
tuners and if I can get one, a USB DVB-S/S2 satellite tuner too.  Since
the streams from the tuners are in MPEG2 format anyway (or MPEG4 I think
in some cases of high definition video on satellite) then it shouldn't
stress the CPU too much.  The box I have ready for it all has an Nvidia
Geforce 7300LE which I may replace with something else, it's just a case
of finding a low power graphics card, luckily there is a thread on the
Hard OCP forums about the HP Slimline machines and which cards will work.

The hard drive I've gone for is a Hitachi Cinemastar drive which
according to the product information is aimed at things like this and is
quiet.

Luckily I'm not a gamer, or at least I don't play the latest games so I
don't have to worry about having the latest and greatest graphics
cards.  I'm happy with a Super NES or even Speccy emulator.  Now that'll
be fun emulating a Speccy on a 32" LCD HDTV.

Rob