Re: [LUG] Warning - Any Mandriva Users Out There!!! A Rant.

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 11:00 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

>  From what I understand the Intel driver problems in Jaunty are due to a
> buggy driver which will be fixed and rolled out when it's ready. In the
> mean time it is possible to roll back to the older driver (details are
> here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4)

Thanks for that. I will check it out. I know it's possible to switch to
UXA instead of EXa but I found from a stock install it was still awfull
compared to intrepid. thanks for the heads up.

> I weighed up the pros and cons of upgrading to Jaunty and I figured the
> advantages of upgrading to Jaunty and reverting to the older driver far
> outweighed the cons. Jaunty is MUCH quicker, I mean blindingly quicker
> on my notebook, boot time is about 30 seconds rather than about a minute
> which when you're dual booting with Vista can be handy (Vista takes an
> age to boot but I have some specific apps which it requires and I can't
> virtualise Vista as it's an OEM licence tied into the hardware, it
> simply won't Activate in Virtualbox and I aint paying for another licence!).

I discovered that installing & using it unactivated then going through
the online activation scenario worked for me.

> With regards to the ATI driver though, that's more ATI's fault rather
> than the developers of Ubuntu. ATI took the decision to stop supporting
> older cards which IMHO was a bad move. Sure yet they are releasing specs
> etc for the cards now but they could have at least waited for the open
> source drivers to at least catch up in terms of usability. From what I
> understand some cards just have very basic OpenGL support at the moment,
> and sure it'll get there but that doesn't really help those poor folks
> who are stuck with older cards which aren't as well supported.
>
> Rob

I know and it proves the problems of relying on ati's closed source
driver. the mobile X1200/1250 has been completely dropped by them.
Hopefully the situation will improve with time or user pressure or even
the open xorg driver will gain better 3d support.
when I had my desktop I used to xorg radeon driver rather than fglrx for
my ati card.

Ray