Re: [LUG] School Server

2009/4/28 Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> So can we respond to this please? Firstly is it possible to create a
> server that updates itself? Secondly, is there anyway we can encourage
> her to look at different systems? Any thoughts would be welcome -
> thanks.

We (lug.org.uk) have a number of debian based Xen domains (Virtual
Machines) which we semi-automatically update each night. They all have
the package "apticron" installed which downloads the list of updates,
and then emails the admins if there are any packages to install. If
there are we login and "dist-upgrade". I tend to do this on the train
in the morning because thats when the mails come in. It takes a few
moments to do all 6 domains, plus 4 of my own.

Of course I could fully automate this fairly easily, but I'd rather not.

Cheers,
Al.