Re: [LUG] new computer store in torquay

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Julian Hall wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> And also point out that their host seems to have registerd their domain
>> name in their name rather than the shops name (Assuming the shop isn't
>> just a trading arm of Vista Print  - hm. I suspect not - looks like their
>> print-shop is offering a one-stop shop for everything, including an
>> utterly rubbish web site!
> Looking at the source HTML it's been written with some WYSIWYG thing
> called VistaPrint v19.7 which is probably an online utility created by
> the domain host/webspace provider.  Also proof reading doesn't seem to
> be a strength... 'send us an email thought the "contact us" page',
> missing the opportunity to make 'contact us' a direct link, never mind
> 'thought' instead of 'through'.
>
> Either way they don't seem to have put much thought into using the
> Internet to promote their business - ironic for an IT related company.

I suspect they've been "given" the site from their print company, or via
"someone they know who did some printing for us"..

I wasn't directly criticising the site, more the general ignorance there
seems to be about websites, etc. (however an IT company ought to know
better!)

I have seen many instances of companies offering free/easy websites just
to get or keep business - the print industry is one example - "Do you want
a webite with that?" I've even heard of accountancy companies offering
websites too... And I do have a client who is a publishing company who has
their own web offering to their clients, although they're a bit more savvy
then these "vista print" people seem to be...

Ah well. Still, nice to see new shops opening at these times rather than
shops closing!

Gordon