Re: [LUG] new computer store in torquay

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Rob Beard wrote:
>

>> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> there is a new computer shop opening in Market street torquay
>>>
>>> http://www.true-computers.co.uk/
>>>
>>> may be worth some of us going in to see if they are willing / able to
>>> support Open source software ?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Hmm have you looked at the web site?
>>
>> - Windows Software Sales
>>

>> No mention of Linux or open source.  I'm not going to hold my breath to
>> be honest after checking out the site.
>>

> Well... It's an "entry level" web site, so maybe someone here can go and
> educate them on things like putting their company name & address on it (a
> legal requirement if they are Ltd)
>
> And also point out that their host seems to have registerd their domain
> name in their name rather than the shops name (Assuming the shop isn't
> just a trading arm of Vista Print  - hm. I suspect not - looks like their
> print-shop is offering a one-stop shop for everything, including an
> utterly rubbish web site!

Ahh that'll be Vista Print the cheapo online printing company.  They're
pretty good for business cards and the like (even if they do insist on
spamming me special offers EVERY day.  I wouldn't choose a template like
that for a site though (I did use a template for my site but I did
heavily tweak it and I'm tempted to replace it with e107 or Joomla (is
it Joomla?  can never remember).
> So if the shop is called true-computers, they don't even own their own
> domain name - that's generally regarded as bad practice in the UK these
> days...

<snip>
> *sigh*
>
> It's a real shame that punters get locked into rubbish like this. Makes me
> quite angry too, although it's generally not the punters fault.
>
> Gordon

Well they are saying that want to be your 'Technology Partner'.  Sounds
like a load of Microsoft like buzz words to me.  Still I'll have a
wander past sometime and have a look.  I wouldn't be surprised though if
they're a Windows only shop like a lot of the computer suppliers out there.

Rob