Re: [LUG] Made the switch to Lenny

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Jonathan Holloway wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently on Etch on a VPS, has anybody experienced any issues with
>>> upgrading to Lenny at all?
>>> Still haven't moved on the desktop, still on Intrepid Ibex, but good to know
>>> it's a good choice for older
>>> machines... : )
>>
>> I've migrated a desktop, a laptop and some servers (2 remote!) from Etch
>> to Lenny. One box (my desktop) has gone from woody through Sarge and Etch
>> to Lenny without a re-install and one server has gone from Sarge through
>> Etch to Lenny too.
>
> Sarge - Etch - Lenny  -- bah you don't want to know the history of my
> desktop since I installed Debian on it, it'd make you really scared...

Well, I still have a server on woody...

>> Shut-down as much as you can, do the upgrade, then fix the faults :)
>>
>> Remember to get the i686 libc and kernel if you have a 686 processor for a
>> few more ticks of speed..
>
> The release notes are really good for those upgrading servers to lenny.
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/releasenotes
>
> All of chapter 4 for x86 is rather long, but it covers things like using
> UUID for disks (as those coming from 2.4 or old 2.6 may find disks
> renamed). This can affect grub config as well.

Good reading - not for me though as I don't use those new fangled things
like udev, uuid's and grub...

Although un-doing udev from a system installed with it from scratch is
somewhat challenging )-: I wish I had the option of not having it
installed in the first place.

Gordon