Re: [LUG] Made the switch to Lenny

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Jonathan Holloway wrote:
>
>> I'm currently on Etch on a VPS, has anybody experienced any issues with
>> upgrading to Lenny at all?
>> Still haven't moved on the desktop, still on Intrepid Ibex, but good to know
>> it's a good choice for older
>> machines... : )
>
> I've migrated a desktop, a laptop and some servers (2 remote!) from Etch
> to Lenny. One box (my desktop) has gone from woody through Sarge and Etch
> to Lenny without a re-install and one server has gone from Sarge through
> Etch to Lenny too.

Sarge - Etch - Lenny  -- bah you don't want to know the history of my
desktop since I installed Debian on it, it'd make you really scared...

> Shut-down as much as you can, do the upgrade, then fix the faults :)
>
> Remember to get the i686 libc and kernel if you have a 686 processor for a
> few more ticks of speed..

The release notes are really good for those upgrading servers to lenny.

http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/releasenotes

All of chapter 4 for x86 is rather long, but it covers things like using
UUID for disks (as those coming from 2.4 or old 2.6 may find disks
renamed). This can affect grub config as well.

My experiences documented in my blog of course at debian-administration.org.

> There's a lot of stuff that seems to be included by default that I'm sure
> most desktop people won't use either, so half an hour with dselect (or
> whatever fancy package manager du jour you like to use) can remove a lot -
> most are just taking up disk space, but a few are running - stuff like
> portmap - which you'll never use unless you use NFS, etc. maybe inetd too.

I think inetd sorts itself out if you don't have anything enabled, but
yes portmap is kind of a legacy thing for most folks I expect - why it
is in the default still I'm not sure.