Re: [LUG] OT: Alternative POP3 Connectors for Exchange 2007?

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 05:32:35PM +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
>> Any (sensible) suggestions?
>
> Not that I have used it but I have thought about it: use a backup MX?

Backup MX is generally a bad idea these days, and doesn't address the issue.

If the POP servers MTA was Postfix (or presumably others under Grant's
control) you could just as the "bcc always" feature to keep regular
backups of all email in a log file, which could be used to recover in
such circumstances - but it would be messy however it is done.

Me I'd go with just backing up before updates, and stopping key services
for the duration, it is the Microsoft way - and if they don't like the
down time.. urm well I think they are stuck with it if they want more
reliable behaviour from Exchange.

  Simon