[LUG] OT: Alternative POP3 Connectors for Exchange 2007?

Hi all,

Yes, I know this is a Linux list but I don't know of any DCWUGs (and
I'm sick of the Windows support forums full of people who reckon
Windows is the best thing since best things were invented).

Might have a major issue at work of emails that have gone missing,
essentially due to Microsoft's wonderful product.

SBS2008 with Exchange 2007.  Our MX records point to a 1&1 server.
Exchange's POP3 connector downloads these emails every 5 minutes and
stores them in Exchange.  Brilliantly there is no option (that I can
find) to "keep messages on POP3 server" - they get annihilated.  This
wouldn't be a problem except...

An update failed (see the other topic for my rant about it).  This
prevented the backup service from running, so 10pm last night was the
most recent backup.  It did not, however, stop the POP3 Connector
service from running, so mail was still being pulled down throughout
the night (bear in mind that this company deals with a lot of
international customers who would have been emailing us during this
time).

So, there is a window between 10pm last night and 9am this morning
(when I found the server in a very poorly state) where the emails were
being retrieved, stored in Exchange, but not backed up.  (My backup
schedule is for every 3 hours).

To avoid this in the future, I'd like to use an alternative POP3
connector (well, there are a lot of other things I'd prefer to use, but
for some crazy reason (even after this massive cock-up) they still want
to keep the Windows server) that does *not* delete mail from it's
parent.

Any (sensible) suggestions?

Cheers all.
A very frustrated Grant.