Re: [LUG] OT: Alternative POP3 Connectors for Exchange 2007?

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:59:15 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> On 09/04/2009 17:32, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Yes, I know this is a Linux list but I don't know of any DCWUGs (and
> > I'm sick of the Windows support forums full of people who reckon
> > Windows is the best thing since best things were invented).
> >
> > Might have a major issue at work of emails that have gone missing,
> > essentially due to Microsoft's wonderful product.
> >
> > SBS2008 with Exchange 2007.  Our MX records point to a 1&1 server.
> > Exchange's POP3 connector downloads these emails every 5 minutes and
> > stores them in Exchange.  Brilliantly there is no option (that I can
> > find) to "keep messages on POP3 server" - they get annihilated.
> > This wouldn't be a problem except...
> >
> > An update failed (see the other topic for my rant about it).  This
> > prevented the backup service from running, so 10pm last night was
> > the most recent backup.  It did not, however, stop the POP3
> > Connector service from running, so /mail was still being pulled
> > down throughout the night (bear in mind that this company deals
> > with a lot of international customers who would have been emailing
> > us during this time).
> >
> > So, there is a window between 10pm last night and 9am this morning
> > (when I found the server in a very poorly state) where the emails
> > were being retrieved, stored in Exchange, but not backed up.  (My
> > backup schedule is for every 3 hours).
> >
> > To avoid this in the future, I'd like to use an alternative POP3
> > connector (well, there are a lot of other things I'd prefer to use,
> > but for some crazy reason (even after this massive cock-up) they
> > still want to keep the Windows server) that does *not* delete mail
> > from it's parent.
> >
> > Any (sensible) suggestions?
> >
> > Cheers all.
> > A very frustrated Grant.
> >

> There seems to be all sorts of non-free solutions which seem to cost
> a couple of hundred quid but I can't find anything directly relating
> to the Microsoft Exchange POP3 connector.  Maybe Microsoft left it
> out? (although I presume it would be a registry hack knowing
> Microsoft).  I wonder if a workaround would be to setup a Linux box
> on an old machine to download the mail using POP3 and then forwarding
> it on via SMTP to the Exchange server?  That way you can presumably
> either keep a local copy on the Linux box either until the disc
> starts to get full or for a specified amount of time (I'm guessing)
> or get it to leave the mail on the server.
>
> Not an elegant solution but it might at least give you a bit of
> increased safety?
>
> Would the company you work for let you have any Linux box, even say
> if it was using an old recycled PC?
>
> Rob

Funny you should mention that, it was a suggestion I made earlier today.

There is a machine that could be recycled - an *old* Dell desktop.

It is something I have been toying with today.  I'm actually
contemplating installing Linux on the Dell server anyway, and having
SBS2008 run in a virtual machine.  That way I can take a system
snapshot before I perform any updates!  Might as well drop in a
separate Linux VM to do exactly as you have just suggested.

Me thinks it's going to be a *long* night.

Grant.