Re: [LUG] OT: Broken Windows Server... hahaha

On 09/04/2009 14:08, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:49:30 +0100
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Well, today was the first instalment of Microsoft Windows Server
>> terror at work.  SBS 2008 - a routine set of "security" updates from
>> Microsoft were applied last night.  This morning, when I came into
>> the office, the machine was stuck on "Configuring Updates - Stage 3
>> of 3 - 0%".
>>
>> Apparently this is a well known issue and has happened with a number
>> of updates on a number of the Vista family of systems.
>>
>> By the look on some of their faces, I don't think they were too
>> pleased with my "Well, I did recommend going for a Linux server"
>> comments.
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Back to trying to fix the bugger.
>>
>> Grant.
>>

> And people wonder why us techy types like Linux or Unix systems.
>
> A Linux service fails to work after an update... what to do?  Restart
> the service and check the relevant logs to see what it says.  Maybe even
> have a poke through the service scripts to figure out what it is
> actually doing when trying to start.  One way or another, you can find
> out what is failing and why, and since damn near everything has a conf
> file in plain text, you can fix the problem.  All without necessarily
> affecting un-related services and without having to reboot.
>
> A Windows service fails to work after an update... what to do?  Restart
> the service... oh, can't do that it depends on something else which is
> "stuck" in the "Starting" or "Stopping" state.  Check the logs in
> Event Viewer... great!  Got plenty of information, but it's all written
> in Hebrew!  (Well, not literally, but it might as well be).  Off to
> Google to find out what these Event IDs mean... but it would seem they
> mean nothing at all!  They don't even exist!  Ok, let's try
> restarting the "stuck" services... oops, you can't forcibly start, stop
> or restart a Windows service that is stuck like that... best solution so
> far seems to be try and kill the relevant processes... but you can't do
> that with TaskMan as it's rubbish, so give Proccess Explorer a try!
> Yay!  I can kill things properly now... but, uhoh... Services MMC still
> says they're stuck. Closing and restarting Services MMC has no effect.
> Still can't tell the services to restart either with the MMC snapin or
> from the command line.
>
> Ok... let's try a System Restore... no restore points were created.
> What?  I was under the impression that Windows automatically made
> restore points whenever an update was installed!  Ok, full system
> restore...
>
> Sheesh!
>
> Grant (who has had far too much coffee so far today and desperately
> needs to go and get some lunch)

So their total cost of ownership has gone up a whole lot more because
their techie is spending all his time fixing something that on a *nix
system would have probably have been fixed much quicker.  I dunno, some
people/companies seem to be of the mind set that good stuff goes good
money and I guess this shows that in some cases that isn't true (at
least where Microsoft software seems to apply).  I don't think I've ever
had as much hassle with Netware or Linux as I have had with Windows and
I don't know diddly squat about Netware but still managed to fix a few
problems on it with a bit of searching.

Rob