Re: [LUG] Mobile broadband

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 19:27:44 +0100
John Hansen wrote:

> I have unsuccessfully tried using an USB modem with T-Mobile
> on my EeePC. I note that other mobile companies also disown
> Linux. Is there one that works with Linux?
>
> John

As far as I am aware, most standard 3G USB modems will work, you just
need to f'niggle it first.  Essentially, under Windows when you plug
the device in, it fires up an application that manages the PPP
connection.  Under Linux, when you plug it in, it will most likely
register as a USB CD drive and show you all the lovely Windows software
it uses.

There are some guides around on how to remove this USB CD drive and get
it to re-register itself where it will then show up as a standard
serial port.

Grant.