Re: [LUG] (head in the) Cloud computing

Tom Potts wrote:

> I want to be able to run one resilient setup:
> Virtual File System
> Database
> Web Server
> on lots of different machines - most clusters seem to be lots of the same
> machines - so I can add an old 386 or a 64core AMD box seamlessly
> What I want seems to be the antithesis of cloud computing, but I can imagine
> it sharing many of the same ideas - just used many to one where Cloud
> computing goes one to many...

Most of the "cloud" systems do both a one to many and many to one.

To run services resiliently you need to package them up, so that they
can be managed, and then they are run on a small number of nodes because
that is efficient.

That said, most of the cloud systems are dividing up high power machines
into smaller chunks most of the time, because very few people need all
of a modern server, and then only rarely all of the time. Along with
redundant file systems, which is mirrored (often globally) in several
place. Again the market for people who need fancy file systems such as
Google use is pretty small.

Of course no one is doing this commercially with old 386 boxes because
they deliver an order of magnitude less computing per watt, and about
four orders of magnitude less computing power per unit volume. And from
a management perspective it makes sense for them to limit the variety of
hardware. But I dare say if you have Carbon footprint to burn these
technologies could be made to run on older hardware.