Re: [LUG] (head in the) Cloud computing

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 17:51, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 03:28:14PM +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> > It just occurred to me that if the cloud hosting 'cluster' is resilient
> > and asymmetrical then this could be just what I've been looking for...
> > Does anyone know about the server (cloud) side software?
>
> What do you want to know?  Amazon EC2 is probably the best known, and
> it is built on top of Xen and a lot more besides.
I've always though Xen was the wrong way up for this - I don't want to run
lots of operating systems on one machine I want to run one operating system
on many machines.
I want to be able to run one resilient setup:
Virtual File System
Database
Web Server
on lots of different machines - most clusters seem to be lots of the same
machines - so I can add an old 386 or a 64core AMD box seamlessly
What I want seems to be the antithesis of cloud computing, but I can imagine
it sharing many of the same ideas - just used many to one where Cloud
computing goes one to many...
Tom te tom te tom