Re: [LUG] Billing/Invoice formats

On Sunday 29 March 2009 10:03, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 04:38:06PM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> > I've been through almost all of them - nothing in there about billing,
> > invoicing  or receipts or any of that. Its obviously fine for telling the
> > taxman what he needs to know but no good for communicating between
> > companies and customers!
> > I guess its what you'd expect from a Tax related spec - all in one
> > direction!
>
> A manufacturing company I am involved with has bought billing software:
>
> - Separate front end:
>       - Add customer ID
>       - Add product details
>       - Add order details shipped
> - System
>       - Produces pretty pages and creates pdf for emailing
Thats what I want to avoid - with proper data interchange these should be
pointless. No more 'here have a pretty document to print out so someone can
type it into our system. I used to parse text documents into an ERP system
and then some fwit decided DOCs and then PDF would be more fun.
>       - Calculates VAT tec
>       - Appropriate details extracted and added to ERP / accounting software.
>
> Software is proprietory. It works. It would be better to have an invoicing
> module in the main accounting system with the appropriate XBRL codes for
> future proofing
But there are no XBRL codes for invoices etc - this seems to be at too micro a
level  for XBRL which surprises me with this anal government of ours! They
dont want to know you've bought 67,000 widgets just how much they get to tax
you on it. Theres a whole space to be filled here - and if we can do it Open
then thats good for FLOSS in general.
I think you defined half of whats needed above!
Tom te tom te tom