Re: [LUG] C++ Questions?

At Wed 18 Mar 2009 21:17:10 UTC, Sam Grabham <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am wanting to be able to create a GUI app that would compile in any OS
> (Linux,Mac and Windows),
> so i am wanting to code in generic style code and not have licencing issues.

Then you'll need to use a cross-platform GUI framework like wxWidgets or Qt.

> What are your views on wxWidgets, SQLite?

SQLite is really nice. I've never used wxWidgets.

> What could i use to create nice looking reports? (fop, pdf, xsl?)

Sorry, no suggestions here.

> i have started to use wxdevcpp on my XP machine which i find OK,
> But i can get my hands on a Borland 5 C++ builder.

Borland C++ Builder should be avoided. If you're writing
cross-platform stuff just use gcc on all platforms; it will make your
life easier.

> What would you recommend for windows or Linux multiple language support?
> Eclipse? codeblocks? and how would i do this (text file.db?)?

I've only ever done this on Windows, with resource files. I imagine
that the GUI frameworks will have their own way.

>> From some of the books i have it looks like the .h file contents syntax are
> different on Windows and Linux.

The OS libraries are different, yes. The C++ standard libraries are the same.

> If i coded in linux, would the windows version be easier to compile from the
> linux source?

It will be if you stick to portable constructs; it won't be if you use
linux-specific stuff.

> If you had areas of code that related to certain OS i.e / \ in paths and
> system calls, would you use namespace's ?

I would have a single source file with the platform-specific stuff in,
and either use #ifdef or different versions of the source file for
each platform.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams