Re: [LUG] How many do you understand?

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:

Quoting george <georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

So, who is the biggest nerd.  There are 4 here I don't understand.  Look out
Google, here I come. (I love the one about the infinite number of
mathematicians)

OK, let's see if we missed the same ones...

Same as above, but ..

  * Two kittens are on a roof but both of the are
  sliding down. which one falls off first? The
  one with the greatest mew.

Nope!

Coefficient of static friction is mu(s), so maybe it ought to be mews.
(I done engineering sciece me. aka applied mechanics)

  * What is the contour interval around western
  Europe? Zero because all the Poles are in
  eastern Europe.

Yup (although borderline on the PC/Taste front!)

Not even right due to the recent migrations westwards in recent years... (Although they migration is probably eastwards now, so the balance will be restored!)

  * Some people think the glass is half empty.
  Some people think the glass is half full.
  Database admins think the glass is twice the
  size it needs to be.

LOL, too true...

And simialrly the engineer says it's the wrong size.

  * Two spiral galaxies walk into a pub. The
  landlord says "I can serve *you*..." (points at
  the first), "but not *you*..." (points at the
  second). "Why not?" - "Because you're barred."

Nope.

Variant on a type of spiaral galaxy.. (Thanks to E. Hubble for the definitions)

Gordon