Re: [LUG] Free Linux Format PDF

On Thursday 05 March 2009 14:26, Ralph Smithen wrote:

> >> It was always a torrent, it was never an http download.
> >> They did the same for their tuxradar podcast.
> >> Makes total sense for an audience of geeks who "get" what bittorrent
> >> is about - given a lot of them use it to get their ISO in the first
> >> place.
> >> Their tracker will probably have more accurate stats on how many
> >> downloads / how much bandwidth was used, and they may well use that
> >> information for further promotion.
> >> Cheers,
> >> Al.
> >
> > I never really got my head around bit-torrents. I downloaded the torrent
> > file does that now mean that because the link to the mag isn't there any
> > more I can't get a copy?
> > Cheers, JOn
>
> I just checked and the tracker is still up:
> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk:6969
>
> That means that, provided you have the .torrent file, you can still
> download the file :)
>
> Here's an article explaining how it works:
> http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bittorrent.htm
From the above article:
"This process makes popular and very large files, such as videos and
television programs, download much faster than is possible with other
protocols."
This is a bit of a lie - I've always found torrent very slow - however it does
mean the person hosting or publishing whatever is torrented doesn't have to
choke or get hammered.
I gave up torrenting after I discovered I was sending 5..30 * what I was
receiving and using 0.5meg ADSL thats a real killer.
Tom te tom te tom