Re: [LUG] Free Linux Format PDF

Torrent downloading is the current method used to distribute large files through a community. the files are divided into parts which are downloaded individually allowing for different parts to be downloaded from different places - it also mean that once a part has been downloaded it may in turn be uploaded as well while the other parts finish to download.

Therefore as you download you also upload. which is mandatory - the program is designed to do this - you cant just download. (this was revolutionary and made torrents the standard means for sharing larger files through a community)

You have two kinds of users peers and seeders - a peer is someone downloading and uploading a file at the same time. a seeder is someone who has the file (because they are the original source or have finished downloading it) and are uploading it.

Lastly a torrent file is a link to a tracker which maintains the list of current seeders and peers for any one file.

So once you have the torrent file (say from http://beta.legaltorrents.com/ or in my case http://www.tuxdistro.com/  and http://www.animesuki.com/)you need a torrent downloading app. I use utorrent  as it is very simple stable and efficient. there are other great ones - obviously the original bitorrent.

I use torrents to get all my distros and the fansub anime i watch - both legal uses;)

Security of torrenting is fairly safe and most good torrent applications incorporate encryption as standard (utorrent does), however dont be fooled by this - it will only stop direct attempts to find out what any one ip address is doing. Instead governments and companies now simply download a file and start seeding it and see who downloads from them - thereby catching them in the act. this is embezzlement. but when you here about people receiving warning letters from isp's - this is how they know. So word of warning - if you are going to do stuff illeagle then understand that it is easy to get caught. But its pot luck as to whether you do.

hope this helps

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM, <jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ralph Smithen writes:
>>> Al.
<snip>>> does that now mean that because the link to the mag isn't there any
>> more I can't get a copy?
>> Cheers, JOn
>
> I just checked and the tracker is still up:
> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk:6969
> That means that, provided you have the .torrent file, you can still
> download the file :)
...oh, cool, I'll give it a go...
> Here's an article explaining how it works:
> http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bittorrent.htm
I've got a rough idea abourt it, but it's one of those things that I will
only understand on a certian level...
Cheers anyway, JOn

--

Joe DiMaggio  - "Pair up in threes."