Re: [LUG] Free Linux Format PDF

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 16:11 +0000, Tom Potts wrote:

> From the above article:
> "This process makes popular and very large files, such as videos and
> television programs, download much faster than is possible with other
> protocols."
> This is a bit of a lie - I've always found torrent very slow - however it does
> mean the person hosting or publishing whatever is torrented doesn't have to
> choke or get hammered.
> I gave up torrenting after I discovered I was sending 5..30 * what I was
> receiving and using 0.5meg ADSL thats a real killer.
> Tom te tom te tom

Not a lie, just that you had bad luck on the torrents or your upload was
so saturated it affected the download. If you are on a good tracker with
a decent community giving back what they download (perhaps one that
maintains user ratios to help ensure it) then torrents will invariably
go like the clappers maxing out your download with no problem.

Its also sensible to limit your upload to some fraction of its maximum
as that will absolutely restrict your download speed, for me an upload
speed of just 15k has no impact on downstream, yet 20k has a severe
impact.

Another factor can be your ISP, these days many will (for your benefit)
traffic manage bit-torrent traffic to hell, some ISP's limit that to
peak times, others will do it at any time, few let it travel unimpeded
at all the time. Enabling encryption can get around that and moving off
the standard torrent ports,

Torrents really do work exceptionally well, but like anything a little
experience helps get the most from them :]

--
John Williams <subbass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>