Re: [LUG] Dual-WAN routers?

Rob Beard wrote:
> On 26/02/2009 21:30, Grant Sewell wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:08:04 +0000
>> Simon Waters wrote:

>>> Why not just use two ADSL routers, and balance in Ethernet in a
>>> firewall?
>>>
>>> http://www.ipcops.com/wiki/faq:advanced:multiwan
>>>
>>> Suggests pfsense ;)
>>>

>> We have a Draytek that is supposed to do load balancing over 2 Ethernet
>> WANs (connected to xDSL/Cable) already.  The difficulty is that because
>> the connection goes over an extra link, the Draytek is essentially
>> completely unaware of when the DSL link goes down on either connection.
>>
>> Our current setup is:
>>
>> Cable - Router \
>>                  Draytek Router - Network
>> Cable - Router /
>>
>> One router is configured for Eclipse, the other for Demon.  If either
>> Eclipse or Demon stops working, their respective router knows about it
>> but because *that* router's LAN connection is still up and the
>> Draytek is connected to it, the Draytek is not informed that a line has
>> gone down, so continues to use it and 1/2 the traffic is lost.
>>
>> One of the routers supports "bridging" mode, whereby you lose the
>> option of inputting a username+password for the link (which is
>> reasonable - it's supposed to be a bridge), but the Draytek doesn't
>> support PPP connections (seeing as it's an Ethernet-Ethernet router) so
>> we can't do that.
>>
>> I'm looking for a way have 2 direct ADSL connections on the same box
>> (be that a pre-fab router or a home-made router) where I can load
>> balance across them.
>>
>> Any ideas about the PCI ADSL cards?
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Grant. :)
>>

> Doing a quick Google search came up with this...
> http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=FM-PADSL&af=50
>
> Not sure what chipset it is though or if it supports Linux or ADSL2+
>
> Rob

"Note :- Not compatiable with Windows Vista" :-)

Many years ago I used a bewan ADSL PCI modem.. worked out of the box on
Smoothwall..

No doubt, years later, you can use two of these in a load balance and
redundant link situation to effect what you're after...

I'm not sure if they do ADSL2+ or anything, but it's a name to go on..