Re: [LUG] Dual-WAN routers?

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:08:04 +0000
Simon Waters wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know if IPCop (or pfsense, or any others) supports
> > load-balancing over 2 actual ADSL lines (where you'd have to set up
> > each line with its own connection details (username+password,
> > etc))? And where to source PCI ADSL cards?
>
> Why not just use two ADSL routers, and balance in Ethernet in a
> firewall?
>
> http://www.ipcops.com/wiki/faq:advanced:multiwan
>
> Suggests pfsense ;)

We have a Draytek that is supposed to do load balancing over 2 Ethernet
WANs (connected to xDSL/Cable) already.  The difficulty is that because
the connection goes over an extra link, the Draytek is essentially
completely unaware of when the DSL link goes down on either connection.

Our current setup is:

Cable - Router \
                Draytek Router - Network
Cable - Router /

One router is configured for Eclipse, the other for Demon.  If either
Eclipse or Demon stops working, their respective router knows about it
but because *that* router's LAN connection is still up and the
Draytek is connected to it, the Draytek is not informed that a line has
gone down, so continues to use it and 1/2 the traffic is lost.

One of the routers supports "bridging" mode, whereby you lose the
option of inputting a username+password for the link (which is
reasonable - it's supposed to be a bridge), but the Draytek doesn't
support PPP connections (seeing as it's an Ethernet-Ethernet router) so
we can't do that.

I'm looking for a way have 2 direct ADSL connections on the same box
(be that a pre-fab router or a home-made router) where I can load
balance across them.

Any ideas about the PCI ADSL cards?

Cheers.
Grant. :)