Re: [LUG] OT: Atheros 5005G WiFi card

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Not sure how to change the country setting for you, but I'd not be overly
> concerned about the channels. A Wi-Fi channels takes up about 4-5 slots in
> the range anyway, so channel 6 is actually 4,5,6,7,8. Channel 1 would be
> 1-4, (maybe a bit less) and channel 11 uses 9,10 and 11 (and maybe a bit
> more)
>
> Best thing is to do a scan with your access point if you can (or a client
> device) and pick what's least used in your area.
>
> Japan can go to 14!
>
> Gordon
Hi Gordon,

I read a letter in Computer Shopper this month relating to this which is
when I moved my network to channel 13 (it's back on 6 now).  In fact the
letter author had changed his to Japan's settings, which is probably
illegal since that would allow him to use 14 which is outside the
accepted European range.  IIRC every channel is 5Mhz apart, but the
actual channel width is 22, hence the overlapping you mentioned.

I use a program called Net Stumbler to check the local environment -
we'll see what happens :)  Not *really* bothered as long as it works :)

Kind regards,

Julian