Re: [LUG] OT: Atheros 5005G WiFi card

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Julian Hall wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A bit off-topic, but I can't find the answer on the web and you're such
> a helpful bunch :)
>
> I have a new (to me) laptop with one of the above miniPCI WiFi cards
> installed in it.  Previously I had my network set up on channel 13 - the
> highest we can have legally in Europe.  On my other laptop I found the
> internal card had been shipped with the location 'Antigua' and after
> changing the location to UK it found my network no trouble.  This card
> however doesn't seem to have a 'Location' option.  Any ideas?  In the
> interim I have changed the network channel to 6, but as this is fairly
> common I'd like to go back to 13 if possible.

Not sure how to change the country setting for you, but I'd not be overly
concerned about the channels. A Wi-Fi channels takes up about 4-5 slots in
the range anyway, so channel 6 is actually 4,5,6,7,8. Channel 1 would be
1-4, (maybe a bit less) and channel 11 uses 9,10 and 11 (and maybe a bit
more)

Best thing is to do a scan with your access point if you can (or a client
device) and pick what's least used in your area.

Japan can go to 14!

Gordon