[LUG] Browser share - again

Hardly a representative sample, but I noted that less than a third of
DCGLUG visitors were using Internet Explorer last week. Less than the
number of Firefox using visitors.

DCGLUG site stats are fairly similar in browser share to w3schools.com,
which given the 20% Linux users at DCGLUG versus 4% there seems a little
odd. Presumably it means web developers are even more likely to use
Firefox than Linux users.

Article on venturebeat claims that this is due to IE6 losing share
quickly - but I doubt this explains the whole story.

http://venturebeat.com/2009/02/02/internet-explorers-browser-market-share-shrinks-because-ie6-is-finally-dying/

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/microsoft-browser-share-hits-record-low-40287

Seems likely that less than 2/3rd of all web users will be using IE
either this month or next.

All the cool kids, all the techie kids, and all the clever kids are
already using Firefox. Indeed rather disappointing that other free
software browsers aren't making more impact!

Chrome seems to have stalled despite all the noise, I'm not surprised.
Chrome looks pretty ugly, with Google reimplementing a load of standard
dialogs, some of them in broken fashion, and the application doesn't
honour standard Window manager settings (so can be hard to tell if it
has focus amongst other oddities). Also there are plenty of bugs to
unravel. I think the idea was sound, but they tried to do too much at
once. A straight forward browser with the faster JavaScript would have
been great. No doubt some programmer will explain to me why neither
Chrome nor Safari look and behave like a normal Microsoft Windows
application. Surely this is choice, and nothing to do with the unerlying
rendering engine?!