Re: [LUG] Microsoft to kill off Equipt

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just seen this on The Register...
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/02/18/equipt_kill_date_confirmed/
>
> As rumoured, it looks like Microsoft are killing off their subscription
> services for things like MS Onecare and Office 2007 Home and Student.
>  From the article...
>
> "It confirmed that Office Home and Student 2007 won’t receive
> subscription licence updates and will enter “reduced functionality
> mode”. Effectively customers will only be able to view Office documents,
> but they won’t be able to create or edit docs via the service."
>
> So, all those poor saps who bought a PC and were 'upsold' cheaper
> 'subscription' versions of MS Office 2007 Home and Student editions will
> be effectively left with a bloated Office viewer.
>
>  From what I gather though it only covers the subscription versions of
> the software which were about £50 rather than the £100 version. Still,
> I'd hate to be one of the poor folks who bought this 'cheap' Office 2007.
>
> Rob

Looking at this its only the actual customers of equip that are affected,

anyway the other articles seem far more interesting

charged for downgrade to XP

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/02/16/microsoft_sued_over_vista_to_xp_downgrade/

also seems that going from vista to win 7 will be easier,  going from xp
to win 7 won't (so all those who have opted for xp rather than vista,
are required to reformat hdd

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/02/05/windows_xp_7_vista_upgrade/

the latter does help us in a way thanks to wubi people can perhaps go
fron xp to ubuntu and or linux much easier,

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet : March 7th : 3pm,  Shoreline Cafe Paignton