Re: [LUG] I feel like Pipex are trying to con me...

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 19:29 +0000, Shaun Orchard wrote:

>         BT only make a charge if there is a fault that is caused by a
>         customers equipment and the customer insists on a callout.
>         As pipex asked BT to provide the engineer visit and no fault
>         was found in any case there is no reason to charge the
>         customer, i.e. you.
>
> Or indeed occasionally when it's not the customers fault.
>
> When my exchange finally got ADSL, I was itching to get connected. So
> I went with Zen, and was paying for 2Mbit. Eventually I was connected
> and my modem connected at 2272/288 with lots of SNR and not much
> attenuation (great). Except for when I actually tried to download
> anything, or run a speedtest, where the maximum I would ever get is
> 1Mbit (almost dead-on 1024k). I would get this at 10am. 6pm, 3am, it
> was completely consistent. With multiple computers, multiple OSes and
> multiple modems.
>
> After prodding Zen, who couldn't see any fault on their end (which is
> correct, since the BT speedtest login and the BT speedtester did the
> same thing), they eventually got BTwholesale to ring me. Many times I
> asked whether it was an exchange fault or whether it was contention,
> where I was told "no". They couldn't find anything wrong either so
> they wanted a technician to come out and I agreed.
>
> He came out, plugged in his modem and laptop, waited 15 minutes to
> boot, and he only checked to see if I was syncing at the right speed
> (yes) and that the BT test username worked (yes) and that he could
> stream a video using his test application (yes but that's not a
> scientific test). I got my laptop and modem out, logged in with the BT
> speedtest username, ran a BT speedtest, and got the blisteringly fast
> speed of 700Kbit. He didn't know what to say and left.
>
> When the next phone bill came, I was charged the standard BT call out
> fee as if the fault was my own. And as if by magic, a month or so
> later, I was able to download at 2Mbit.
>
> So sometimes it's not a customer fault, but the customer is still
> charged for it.
>
> Shaun

You were able to demonstrate to the engineer that there was a problem
with the download speed despite the test results.
Tests are an indication of what might or might not be wrong. A line
testing ok when you know there is a problem,as appears to be in your
experience, doesn't meen no fault existed.
I can't remember how long a time scale BT give customers to challenge a
charge,even after it has been paid, but it is possible.

I have been having similar problems with Sky recently where my line
speed consistently dropped to half of what I had been getting. All their
tests indicated no problems but it turned out to be a setting at the
exchange.

Ray