Re: [LUG] I feel like Pipex are trying to con me...

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Shaun Orchard wrote:

> He came out, plugged in his modem and laptop, waited 15 minutes to boot, and
> he only checked to see if I was syncing at the right speed (yes) and that
> the BT test username worked (yes) and that he could stream a video using his
> test application (yes but that's not a scientific test). I got my laptop and
> modem out, logged in with the BT speedtest username, ran a BT speedtest, and
> got the blisteringly fast speed of 700Kbit. He didn't know what to say and
> left.

Not Bucfastleigh by any chance?

When we were eventually enabled, our exchange sufferd from a VP problem -
Virtual Path, I think. I too was with Zen at the time and although got 2Mb
sync, I never got anywhere near it. I think it was something to do with
the way BT allocate bandwidth out of the exchange at the time - I did get
a BT man to come, but he was able to repeat the download test and observed
it wasn't right, so luckilly I never got charged for it. He even upgraded
my master socket to an NTE5 - Nice BT man and he got a cuppa and some nice
biscuits... I persuaded most of my neighbours to complain and as if by
magic some weeks later it all got "fixed" and we were all of 2Mb solid...

I think (hope!) that particular issue is a thing of the past though.

Gordon