Re: [LUG] Possible Penguin Promotion

james kilty wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 21:59 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
>

>> We seem to be on the same frequency,  one thing i noticed was lack of
>> interactive displays,  perhaps a few computers could be set up running
>> linux and of course a few tux games,  so kids visiting can play, or
>> perhaps as a information terminal,  so this can hold html (or similar)
>> files with lots of info / pictures etc about the birds and animals at
>> living costs so visitors can perhaps use to find out more information.
>>
> This seems very promising. Can we organise a simple demo - with all the
> kids stuff ready to play - we might need to prepare a trial with one of
> our own computers, though if there was sufficient interest, they might
> pass on one they have recently retired. There seems to be plenty of
> space at Paradise Park as you come in, so this may not be a problem -
> near where the chough nest video camera display. Otherwise, Pz Computers
> might "donate" a computer with the permission of the previous owner.
>
> James
>
> PS I'd be happy to come along and assist in maintaining the display as
> needed - or supporting it on a rota during holidays or penguin events.

I'm sure it would be possible.  I mentioned Paradise Park as I remember
they said they wanted to get funds for a new Penguin enclosure.  With
regards to Living Coasts, they already have two touch screens with some
flash games running on them although I don't know if they'd have room
for an extra PC or two.  I did get word back from them though, they said
to sponsor a Penguin would cost £35 for a year, we'd get a certificate
and a picture of the Penguin.  Not sure if it's possible to name one of
them.  They also need volunteers too, so that might be another option to
raise some awareness.  On their web site (here:
http://www.livingcoasts.org.uk/involved/163) it mentions that they're
looking for people to volunteer with event activities.  I'm wondering if
there might be a possibility of a few of us getting together and
arranging an event of some kind where we can demonstrate some of the Tux
related software and hand out copies of the Open Disc?

Rob