Re: [LUG] Possible Penguin Promotion

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A thought has just struck me after my visit to Living Coasts today.  Now
> a big part of Living Coasts is the Penguins (and they're so adoreable, I
> wanted to smuggle one home with me).  Now the open day was fairly well
> publicised on Facebook and when I left about 11am the place was getting
> packed, no doubt it was packed all day (there were over 200 people who
> said they were attending).  I was thinking, maybe we could do some
> special promotion with Living Coasts, if they could distubute copies of
> The Open Disc either for free or sell them in the gift shop for say a
> quid a disc (with us supplying the discs and just charging to cover the
> costs and with the profits going to Living Coasts) then we could also
> put some free advertising on the disc for them too (so if it is
> distributed in other places people will get to find out about Living
> Coasts).
>
> Not only could this possibly work with Living Coasts, but it may even be
> an idea for Newquay Zoo and Paradise Park too (I remember last year when
> I went to Paradise Park they said they were trying to raise money to
> build a new Penguin enclosure).
>
> When you think about it, there is all this 'Tux the Penguin' related
> software like Tuxpaint, TuxMath, Tux Typing, Super Tux etc which are
> both a good advertisement for Free Software (and cross platform too) and
> they're also Penguin related so would fit in really well with Living
> Coast, Newquay Zoo and Paradise Park.
>
> Rob

We seem to be on the same frequency,  one thing i noticed was lack of
interactive displays,  perhaps a few computers could be set up running
linux and of course a few tux games,  so kids visiting can play, or
perhaps as a information terminal,  so this can hold html (or similar)
files with lots of info / pictures etc about the birds and animals at
living costs so visitors can perhaps use to find out more information.

as its a charity, it should be able to get funding in a similar way to
the exwick centre.

they could even sell tux badges with lug branding on saing something like

the linux community supports living coasts.

what do you think

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet : March 7th : 3pm,  Shoreline Cafe Paignton