Re: [LUG] Two VoIP ATA's with the same outgoing phone number

On 12/02/2009 17:05, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Rob Beard wrote:
>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> This might be a question which Gordon may be able to answer.  Does
>> anyone know if it's possible to run two VoIP ATAs from to different
>> locations (using two different broadband connections) but have them use
>> the same number for outgoing calls (so whoever phones from whichever ATA
>> it looks like it's coming from the same number?).
>>

> The answer is "yes, but" ...
>
> Basically it depends on what you're talking to at the far-end. If it's a
> SIP proxy, then most will accept multiple registrations on the same
> account and ring both phones on an incoming call.
>
> Asterisk however, won't - it'll only ring the last phone to register, but
> both phones will be able to make outgoing calls on the same
> account/number. (and at the same time unless the provider blocks it)
>
> So if all you're intersted in is outgoing calls, then no worries.
>

>> If that is possible, could anyone suggest a cheap pay as you go VoIP
>> provider (preferably not Vonage as I don't want to be tied into their
>> kit) who would be able to do this and if there was any cheap ATA's
>> available to plug a standard 56k analogue modem into?
>>

> I'd love to recomend myself ;-)
>
> But I don't do PAYG yet. (It is something I'm working on though, but it's
> a month or 2 away yet).
>
> For a reasonably 'standard' service, have a look at sipgate.co.uk - they
> give you a free UK number too. Gradwell is the posh one, and you pay a
> premium for it, but there is someone you can phone if it goes wrong.
> (Sipgate have a 48-hour email reply). Finally, there's about a dozen or so
> "Betamax resellers". These can be from free to cheap, but they sometimes
> have weird sign-up procedures (eg. need to use their soft-phone on XP
> first) and might want topping-up in Euros, and give almost no support.
>
> This page:
>
>     http://backsla.sh/betamax
>
> will give you a list of the betamax resellers and their costs, etc.
>
> As for plugging a 56K modem into it - modem over VoIP will not work
> reliably, if at all. If all you want is a pass-through port (analogue in
> to analogue out), then you're better off with a standard BT splitter.
>
> For ATAs - Linksys are reasonable: (And I think it's what Vonage sell, but
> locked)
>
>     http://www.voipon.co.uk/linksys-analog-adaptors-c-2_29.html
>
> If you want cheap, look at Grandstream:
>
>     http://www.voipon.co.uk/grandstream-adaptors-c-2_58.html
>
> If you want a test account to play with a few ideas, let me know.
>
> Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

I'll keep it in mind.  I've got a friend (well a friend who's also a
client) who is opening a shop soon.  He would have been interested in
VoIP but sods law he can't get Virgin in his area and can't afford SDSL
or a leased line so he's limited to a BT line and some sort of broadband
connection (I think he's going to get the lot from BT).

I'd certainly be interested in a PAYG VoIP account, I could in theory go
for a normal pay after you make the calls type of account (like Vonage)
but I'd rather be able to pre-budget how much I spent on calls so I
didn't end up with any large bills.

Rob