Re: [LUG] Two VoIP ATA's with the same outgoing phone number

I don't recall that happening when I used Asterisk (now that I've been there and done that, I don't use it anymore), all the devices registered with the same credentials all rang at the same time.

As for cheap VoIP, you may want to look at Enta's offerings (if you intend to stay with them). They charge a small monthly fee (£2-3 I think) plus you have to buy credit. The advantage of using Enta over everyone else is that they appear to prioritise voice on their own network - I have never managed to get jitter or packet loss using them as I did with third-party providers. As always you'd have to find a reseller who sells the service (UKFSN do not, they resell Gradwell).

As for ATAs, I recommend Linksys (if they are still using the hardware/software they got when they bought Sipura) too. I have a few and they have all been rock-solid.

Shaun

2009/2/12 Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This might be a question which Gordon may be able to answer.  Does
> anyone know if it's possible to run two VoIP ATAs from to different
> locations (using two different broadband connections) but have them use
> the same number for outgoing calls (so whoever phones from whichever ATA
> it looks like it's coming from the same number?).

The answer is "yes, but" ...

Basically it depends on what you're talking to at the far-end. If it's a
SIP proxy, then most will accept multiple registrations on the same
account and ring both phones on an incoming call.

Asterisk however, won't - it'll only ring the last phone to register, but
both phones will be able to make outgoing calls on the same
account/number. (and at the same time unless the provider blocks it)

So if all you're intersted in is outgoing calls, then no worries.

> If that is possible, could anyone suggest a cheap pay as you go VoIP
> provider (preferably not Vonage as I don't want to be tied into their
> kit) who would be able to do this and if there was any cheap ATA's
> available to plug a standard 56k analogue modem into?

I'd love to recomend myself ;-)

But I don't do PAYG yet. (It is something I'm working on though, but it's
a month or 2 away yet).

For a reasonably 'standard' service, have a look at sipgate.co.uk - they
give you a free UK number too. Gradwell is the posh one, and you pay a
premium for it, but there is someone you can phone if it goes wrong.
(Sipgate have a 48-hour email reply). Finally, there's about a dozen or so
"Betamax resellers". These can be from free to cheap, but they sometimes
have weird sign-up procedures (eg. need to use their soft-phone on XP
first) and might want topping-up in Euros, and give almost no support.

This page:

  http://backsla.sh/betamax

will give you a list of the betamax resellers and their costs, etc.

As for plugging a 56K modem into it - modem over VoIP will not work
reliably, if at all. If all you want is a pass-through port (analogue in
to analogue out), then you're better off with a standard BT splitter.

For ATAs - Linksys are reasonable: (And I think it's what Vonage sell, but
locked)

  http://www.voipon.co.uk/linksys-analog-adaptors-c-2_29.html

If you want cheap, look at Grandstream:

  http://www.voipon.co.uk/grandstream-adaptors-c-2_58.html

If you want a test account to play with a few ideas, let me know.

Gordon