Re: [LUG] Two VoIP ATA's with the same outgoing phone number

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This might be a question which Gordon may be able to answer.  Does
> anyone know if it's possible to run two VoIP ATAs from to different
> locations (using two different broadband connections) but have them use
> the same number for outgoing calls (so whoever phones from whichever ATA
> it looks like it's coming from the same number?).

The answer is "yes, but" ...

Basically it depends on what you're talking to at the far-end. If it's a
SIP proxy, then most will accept multiple registrations on the same
account and ring both phones on an incoming call.

Asterisk however, won't - it'll only ring the last phone to register, but
both phones will be able to make outgoing calls on the same
account/number. (and at the same time unless the provider blocks it)

So if all you're intersted in is outgoing calls, then no worries.

> If that is possible, could anyone suggest a cheap pay as you go VoIP
> provider (preferably not Vonage as I don't want to be tied into their
> kit) who would be able to do this and if there was any cheap ATA's
> available to plug a standard 56k analogue modem into?

I'd love to recomend myself ;-)

But I don't do PAYG yet. (It is something I'm working on though, but it's
a month or 2 away yet).

For a reasonably 'standard' service, have a look at sipgate.co.uk - they
give you a free UK number too. Gradwell is the posh one, and you pay a
premium for it, but there is someone you can phone if it goes wrong.
(Sipgate have a 48-hour email reply). Finally, there's about a dozen or so
"Betamax resellers". These can be from free to cheap, but they sometimes
have weird sign-up procedures (eg. need to use their soft-phone on XP
first) and might want topping-up in Euros, and give almost no support.

This page:

   http://backsla.sh/betamax

will give you a list of the betamax resellers and their costs, etc.

As for plugging a 56K modem into it - modem over VoIP will not work
reliably, if at all. If all you want is a pass-through port (analogue in
to analogue out), then you're better off with a standard BT splitter.

For ATAs - Linksys are reasonable: (And I think it's what Vonage sell, but
locked)

   http://www.voipon.co.uk/linksys-analog-adaptors-c-2_29.html

If you want cheap, look at Grandstream:

   http://www.voipon.co.uk/grandstream-adaptors-c-2_58.html

If you want a test account to play with a few ideas, let me know.

Gordon