Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

Hi

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

It seems I was wrong about 21CN. I misunderstood an email they sent me a month
back. It is just an "upgrade", to ADSL2+. The problem has indeed been caused
by BT, and EntaNet are finally beginning to take it seriously, and have been
calling with updates on BT's progress, which is good. It is day 4 of the
outage though. No word from UkFsn yet.

I'm still tempted to move to Virgin because I hate BT so much. I consider them
to be a parasite that damages its host. I hardly use the landline and resent
paying for it just so I can have ADSL from another supplier.

My use of an Acer Aspire One as a gateway is, of course, temporary. I'm using
a mobile broadband USB dongle (I tried an E172 on Vodafone and an E220 on
Three. Both work, though slowly). Both work out of the box on Ubuntu 8.10, a
big improvement on earlier releases.

For those who wanted to know how I'd set up a mobile broadband gateway, here
it is. Comments / criticisms welcome:

I have a low-power Atom based server (it was a VIA C3 running Gentoo till the
capacitors died) which does all my email (IMAP Server), and runs a PIM (a wiki
based thing I wrote back in 2001), my svn repos, and other data storage. This
also runs dnsmasq and provides my local DHCP and DNS. I am working on a
ThinkPad T43, and the AAO is set up in a room which can see a mobile signal.
All machines are running Ubuntu.

On the AAO I have set up NAT routing, and set the mobile broadband as the
default gateway. There is a common fault I've found in mobile services, where
they report a bogus DNS server, so I have to override it. I have been using
OpenDns. Therefore, on the mobile gateway machine:

as root:

// Set up NAT routing
$sudo iptables -t nat -F
$sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

// Set the gateway as the modem
$sudo route del default
$sudo route add default dev ppp0

// Override the bogus resolv.conf
$sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf.opendns /etc/resolv.conf

Where /etc/resolv.conf.opendns contains:
# opendns servers :
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

You have to do the same route trick on other machines, so they know to route
through the gateway machine. I haven't automated this, as I'm hoping it is a
temporary measure, but it gives me some connectivity at least.

My ISP (UkFSN) seems to block outgoing SMTP requests coming from a different IP
address. This is a simple and common enough security measure. To get round
this I ssh tunnel to another server I control, and port forward the SMTP. I
usually use this trick to send emails via my home server when I am away, so I
don't need to change the settings on each email client: they are already
configured to use a tunnel on localhost.

Cheers