Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> The only problems I've had recently with Enta is slow speeds in off-peak
> times. From what I understand they have a facility now where if a lot of
> bandwidth is being used on one of the nodes it will throttle everyone's
> speed down in chunks to give everyone a reasonable connection. There has
> been speculation on the ThinkBroadband forums though that the throttling
> is over agressive and slowing users connections down to about 100KB/sec
> or worse

I've not noticed it myself, but myself and all my customers are on the
busines quality service, or "elevated best efforts" thingy in 2+ terms...

The throtting thing is called ALT - Anti Loss Tool. The idea is to
throttle traffic to prevent packet loss...

They do reduce everyones maximum speed in chunks of 500Kbps at a time -
every 2 minutes until the node is 'stable', then they increase everyone in
200Kb units when capacity is avalable.

On top of that, they "mark" high bandwidth users and these users will be
throttled in 700Kb chunks rather than 500Kb. It's the top N% of users on
each node that they look out for - the percentage varys by node. If you're
a consistently high bandwidth user - 5 times inside a 14-day period, then
the alternative set of ruless will apply when ALT is in-force (the
700Kb drop)

I don't know how well it's working. I don't doubt they're have teething
issues with it, but I'd hope it had settled by now.

I'm in 2 minds about it myself, but I'm still happy with the performance
of their network during the day - which is when I need it most - for VoIP
to business customers, and I don't know any other ADSL wholesaler with a
suitably good network.

Gordon