Re: [LUG] Laptops and netbooks

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have seen quite a lot in the press recently about netbooks. They seem
> to just be a smaller version of laptops. Apart from the fact that
> netbooks are easier to carry around, being smaller, and can be carried
> in a pocket, are there any real advantages over laptops?
>
> And if not, why so much interest in them nowadays? Just wondering.
>
> Neil Winchurst

I think it's because they're small and cheap and do the job well for
Internet/E-Mail and usual Office type tasks.  I mean okay you're
probably not going to be able to virtualise Windows on top of Linux on
them but I know a few people who want something they can take with them
wherever they are.  I'd expect they are really good to take on holiday
with a digital camera and mobile broadband modem to upload holiday snaps
(although saying that with mobile phones getting much better cameras and
access to Facebook/Bebo/MySpace/<insert favourite site here> then maybe
it's not so important to take along a computer.

I think there is a room for both laptops and netbooks myself.  I have a
12" laptop which has the power of a decent laptop (for running virtual
machines and all sorts) and it's small enough to carry around, my wife
also has a laptop but she hardly ever uses it now, in fact I'd say she'd
fine a netbook perfect (if it had a better resolution screen).

Rob