Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Dave Berkeley wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've got a broadband account with UKFSN. They are retailers for EntaNet.
>
> EntaNet notified me that they would be upgrading to 21CN last Monday and that
> this would mean a downtime of 10 minutes.
>
> The connection went down for around 30 hours. You can't phone UkFSN and
> EntaNet's technical support was poor. They said it was a problem with BT at
> the exchange, which may well be true.

My experience is that it's more likely to be BT than Enta... Even so, get
a fault ticket from them.

> Today my connection went dead again. Can't get through to UkFSN. EntaNet
> contacted BT who said that I had been online today (this morning; I had) and
> the problem was resolved. It was only when I phoned again (this time using
> their wholesale broadband freephone line 0800 804 8041 - they put you through)
> that they realised that it was a second fault that I talking about.
>
> Still no connection. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

I'm also an Entanet reseller. Nowhere near the same scale as Jason/UKFSN
though!

I've not noticed any issues with my customers recently, nor my own
connection. I've only 3 on adsl2+ exchanges though (One in Paignton, the
others in Bristol) Hm, well one in Bristol hasn't been as stable as I
think it ought to be, but it is staying online for days on end, and I'm
nost sure if it's the router yet or the connection - it's a brand new
DLink thing... I have set his connection to "super stable" - there are 3
settings I have for adsl2+ connection - super stable which sacrifices a
bit of speed, normal and high-speed, where it will sacrifice stability for
speed...

Not sure what I'd suggest though - I'd assume you've gone through all the
usual stuff - check router/modem, wiring and so on. Does the modem see
ADSL, but not PPP? Or is it a complete lights out?

It is rather suspicious that it's happened right after an exchange upgrade
though.

(Does your phone line make/take calls OK - Call 17070 for the BT test
number - option 1, then hangup and it'll ring you back, then dial again
and try option 2 and listen for noise, etc.)

The only thing I'd suggest is contact Enta again and be insistent that
your connection is down and that you have checked everything including
plugging router directly into the master socket with all other phones,
etc. disconnected (Which I assumine you have tried already)

However, it can take 3 days for BT to check faults unless you're paying
for elevated service... So any of the BT Wholesale ISPs will give you the
same results - not sure about the LLU ones, but since they have to
contract openReach to do the physical work, it might well be the same...

> Can anyone recommend a better provider? Virgin Media say they can provide me
> with a fibre connection. Has anyone any experience of this? I would really like
> to ditch those incompetent wasters at BT.

BT (to me) are a known quantity. You can get through to them in the end,
but it's often a slow process. I'd have BT anyday over any of the LLU
operators or Virgin..

Personally I'm not convinced I'd touch Virgin myself (even if I had the
choice) ... I was a BlueYonder customer some 7 years ago in Bristol and it
was good then, but I'm not convinced I like what I read about them these
days...

eg.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/11/virgin_media_throttle_extension/

is fresh on the register site too..

> Incidentally, I had lots of fun setting up an Acer Aspire One netbook as a
> mobile gateway, forwarding my server traffic through it, and using it as a
> gateway for the home network. In the process I found that the last Ubuntu
> kernel upgrade has broken the eth0 driver. I also had to route round my ISP's
> SMPT so I could send email. So I have a nest of routing modifications, DNS
> resolver mods, NAT etc.

Waste of an AAO!!!

Who's you ISP then, if not Enta? Enta don't block outgoing SMTP, and I
think their own servers are OK... (Although I don't use them)

Gordon