Re: [LUG] computer fairs - an alternative plan

Paul Sutton wrote:

> If we can't get any computer fairs down, here or they are dying due to
> vendors turning to the internet, perhaps this could be an alternate plan
>

> Many charity groups and organisations hold events to raise funds, e.g
> raffle,  stalls, etc, craft sales, bric-a-brac (for the benefit of those
> who don't know what this is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bric-a-brac)
>
> Perhaps we could look in to getting a table at such an event,  clearly
> if we were to sell cd's or offer a cd burn service so if anyone wanted a
> cd to take home with them we can simply burn for them (iso + simple bash
> script to copy / burn to cd)
>
> We could still sell these for £1 but donate 1/2 the profits to the said
> charity.
>
> We could by doing this target the sort of people who would benefit the
> most from Linux,  low income people or perhaps someone who just wants a
> simple set up, just to do e-mail, internet etc,
>
> but at the same time we could offer our own services to help them if
> need be, (given there are people here to fix computers etc) or at least
> promote any local businesses that do. (so for ink perhaps we can promote
> refresh cartridges)
>
> Just an idea,  but perhaps once they know who we are we can perhaps see
> if we can help them in otherways (old equipment right up to what rob set
> up at exwick),  which i am sure there are many faclilties for older
> people that would benefit.
>
> any comments?
>
> Paul

Might be an idea.  I think part of the problem though is that these sort
of events not everyone who comes along is interested in computers.  At
least at a computer fair (or maybe amateur radio rally) there's a much
higher chance that the visitors are going to be interested in
computers.  Still it's not to say that it isn't worth a try, if we could
find something (I'm thinking maybe the Torbay flea market or something
like that) it might be worth a shot.

The idea of the Infopoint though if we did that is that the organisers
(Jono Bacon I think) contact the organisers of the event to try and
secure a cheap or free table on the basis that we only charge what we
pay for the discs, so if a disc costs 30p to duplicate then we only
charge 30p.  I guess if it was a charity event though (or something with
the proceeds going to charity then charging £1 a disc with 50p going to
the charity doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Rob