Re: [LUG] [ubuntu-uk] Help get Windows out of schools

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>
>>> Aparently primnary schools are forced to use MS office so the children
>>> are ready for what is used in Secondary schools which is I guess a fair
>>> argument i guess.  And i guess secondaries feel obliged to use MS office
>>> as they see it as "industry standard."
>>>

>> My kids primary use Open Office - only the staff use MS Office and they
>> also use linux on a couple of their file servers!
>>

> Cool.  Well Open office is a proper office type package,  some schools
> are still using TextEase, which is more aimed at kids, but the
> publishers don't take in to account kids don't need something so dumbed
> down, it treats them like idiots.
>
> Would be interesting to findf out if it even affects how they move up to
> secondary school,  probably not if using open office, plus they can use
> it at home.
>
> Paul

I think younger kids (maybe 3, 4 or 5) could do with something a bit
simpler.  I did read up about an idea the KOffice guys were doing which
was writing an easy to use Word Processor interface on top of KWord, I
guess you could think of it was Tuxpaint meets KOffice.  Nice simple
colourful interface so the kids get used to typing letters, then when
they're a bit older they can go onto other more complicated packages.

Rob