Re: [LUG] Debian on an Acer Aspire One ...

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> I actually suspect part of what made it harder for me was never having
>> used a "modern" window manager. (I use fvwm - been using it for the past
>> 16 years) Working out how to lock applications to the task bar (wossat
>> then?) was tricky - initially
>
> What desktop did you install then?

xfce. If she leaves it here today I'll grab some screenshots, but I don't
think my setup is anything special. Not really having used xfce before I
didn't know how to put icons into the task bar to launch programs - eg.
icedove. I did a find / ... to find an incedove icon for example... Maybe
there's a nice way to do these things, I just don't know, and now it's
Monday and I have to earn a living...

>> and installing the right wi-fi stuff. I
>> ended up compiling a custom kernel for it too and removing 100's of
>> packages that really aren't needed, and while it boots in under a minute,
>> it's way longer than the original 15 seconds that Linpus Lite booted in..
>
> There was a nice article....
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/620

Thats useful.

> But I wouldn't go there myself - except perhaps the advice for GRUB
> timeout and starting X earlier on laptops.

I use Lilo... Works for me. I never understaood grub and frankly can't be
bothered to take the time to udnerstand it when Lilo seems to work
perfectly well.

>> Still, that's progress for you!
>
> In Lenny's defence I suspect it is capable of booting the disk pretty
> much whatever hardware you now choose to plug it into with the same
> processor archtecture. Which is great for us server types, whose
> hardware dies and we can transplant stuff easily. Pretty pointless for
> most other folk.

Indeed - however, I'd not put Lenny on a production server until it's
stable though - there still appears to be a few lurking horrors from what
I've glanced at.

Gordon