Re: [LUG] Debian on an Acer Aspire One ...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> I've just installed Debian Lenny on wifeys AAO...
>
> I have to say, it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do - certianly
> *not* something I'd ever expect her to be able to do in a million years -
> even though she has installed XP on a box in the past...
>
> So while she's happy to use it, running xfce4, open office, firefox and
> thunderbird (aka iceweasel/dove) there will still be a job for us geeks to
> do...http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne
>
> I actually suspect part of what made it harder for me was never having
> used a "modern" window manager. (I use fvwm - been using it for the past
> 16 years) Working out how to lock applications to the task bar (wossat
> then?) was tricky - initially, and installing the right wi-fi stuff. I
> ended up compiling a custom kernel for it too and removing 100's of
> packages that really aren't needed, and while it boots in under a minute,
> it's way longer than the original 15 seconds that Linpus Lite booted in..
>
> Still, that's progress for you!
>
> Gordon

Where you aware of this :-

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne

Just remember you have achieved with debian - single handed something
that is fairly tricky to get right on a Ultra Mobile Laptop. These boxes
come pre-installed (as do the XP versions) so most users be it linux or
windows would not know how to install either from scratch.

In most disaster cases users would reach for the (specially prepared)
rescue disk which would do a "look no hands" wipe and re-image" bye bye
all your settings and account setups and additionally installed
software, data etc ........

I wonder how many highly paid Windows experts worked how many hours to
shoe horn XP onto the Acer Aspire One XP models ?

Its a shame that Acer didn't go for a debian based packaged version of
GNU/Linux for the Aspire One. But this is their first outing with
GNU/Linux and they haven't done too badly. They did bothered to try
GNU/Linux, which earns them at least one brownie point in my book.

All in all I think congratulations are in order for your achievements.

Besides half the fun of GNU/Linux  is that you can cut your own version
;-)  No such luck with Windows .....

Tom.