[LUG] Elonex One T (not the + model): Alternate distros?

Hi All,

A friend of mine had one of the above which I saw yesterday.

Horrible is the word that springs to mind.  Slow, unwieldy, Linux distro
customised to the point of unusable, modprobe and lspci for example
aren't even included, functionality dire - for example won't take any
version of Flash above 5 - useless for kids then as things like YouTube
won't work, no *passwords* even for root, and as for the alleged 'child
or adult mode' - I couldn't find anything remotely suggesting that.

For anyone buying a netbook this would be an horrendous introduction to
Linux, and one reason why people would run back to Windows claiming
Linux 'is too difficult'.  Even my Linux knowledge (I wouldn't dream of
calling it expertise alongside some of you :)) is frustrated by it.

Suffice to say I'm wondering if anyone knows of alternate distros
available for it.  I've had a Google around, but as it's a RISC Mipsel
based system, and not x86 I've found it a bit of a sticky wicket.
Another quick Google now shows there seems to be a Debian Mipsel distro,
but that talks about 'bigendian' and 'littleendian' and looses me in the
first sentence.  Anyone know if there is a pre-compiled distro that
works on the Elonex (other than the grotty one it comes with)?

Kind regards,

Julian