Re: [LUG] Elonex One T (not the + model): Alternate distros?

Hi Julian

On 1 Feb 2009, at 18:21, Julian Hall wrote:

> A friend of mine had one of the above which I saw yesterday.
>
> Horrible is the word that springs to mind.  Slow, unwieldy, Linux
> distro
> customised to the point of unusable, modprobe and lspci for example
> aren't even included, functionality dire - for example won't take any
> version of Flash above 5 - useless for kids then as things like
> YouTube
> won't work, no *passwords* even for root, and as for the alleged
> 'child
> or adult mode' - I couldn't find anything remotely suggesting that.
>
> For anyone buying a netbook this would be an horrendous introduction
> Linux, and one reason why people would run back to Windows claiming
> Linux 'is too difficult'.  Even my Linux knowledge (I wouldn't dream
> of
> calling it expertise alongside some of you :)) is frustrated by it.
>
> Suffice to say I'm wondering if anyone knows of alternate distros
> available for it.  I've had a Google around, but as it's a RISC Mipsel
> based system, and not x86 I've found it a bit of a sticky wicket.
> Another quick Google now shows there seems to be a Debian Mipsel
> distro,
> but that talks about 'bigendian' and 'littleendian' and looses me in
> the
> first sentence.  Anyone know if there is a pre-compiled distro that
> works on the Elonex (other than the grotty one it comes with)?

I posted to the list about this model a short while ago. If you take a
look at the archive you'll see the answers I got. I totally agree - a
bad 'hack' job.
--
Kind regards

Richard Brown
http://cregy.co.uk/
Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for Him.
Romans 12 v 1