Re: [LUG] CD Quality VoIP?

On Saturday 31 January 2009 00:11, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
> A very good point.. If the intended use of VoIP is a conventional one
> but I guess that there are a number of other ways in which VoIP
> can/could be used where the lack of manufacturer/handset support would
> not be a issue.
Having used VOIP quite happily with a cheap (£3) headset, and having buttons
on my keyboard (or possibly the screen) I wonder if handsets aren't a bit
'Office'* - ie pointlessly trying to replicate old technology while in
reality better solutions exist.
Everyone seems to try and sell handsets with their 'solution' when most
laptops have microphones and speakers and, given that when at BT we made echo
cancelling chips with <10,000 transistors running at 4MHz almost a 'nice' let
alone foreground calculation on the average PC.
There seems to be a lot of reinventing the wheel when we have matter
transporters available.
Tom te tom te tom

* I think I'll try and get the word 'Office' accepted as a general term of
abuse for retro technology! 'Oh thats a bit Office.....'